Not only a great beat sketch pad, Serato Flip can also be used as a powerful DJ tool. The simple, yet effective control set designed with the DJ in mind allows you to use it in your set in a number of ways:
- Make clean edits of your tracks by recording censor actions.
- Extend intros, breakdowns or outros for better mixing.
- Create transition sections in your songs for changing tempo or beat structure.
- Advanced tone-play and performance.
- Auto-skipping verses or choruses in songs.
- Making beats.
Here's a quick run down on how to activate and use Serato Flip. Check out this link for a list of controllers with mapped Flip controls.
NOTE: You can turn the Tooltips on in Serato DJ Pro and hover your mouse over a button to give you a brief description of each function.
Purchasing, enabling and activating the Serato Flip Expansion Pack
- Ensure you've purchased Serato Flip, using your Serato.com account. Find out more about purchasing Serato products via our pricing page.
- Ensure you've got the latest version of Serato DJ Pro installed, by downloading it here. Follow steps from our Activate Serato DJ Pro guide to sign-in, and automatically activate your Serato Flip expansion pack.
- Serato Flip should now be automatically enabled. Head back to the Serato DJ Pro main screen, and enable the Serato Flip panel, by clicking the Flip icon in the upper left-hand corner of the UI:
NOTE: If you find the Serato Flip panel button above is not available, you may need to manually enable the Flip expansion pack via SETUP > EXPANSION PACKS > SERATO FLIP in-app.
The Flip Panel
The Flip panel only appears once the Expansion Pack has been purchased and activated in the Setup screen. 6 controls will be available in the panel, Record, Start, On, Loop, Save and Loop Snap.
- Record - The Recording button starts and stops the Recording of a Flip. Press it to arm Flip recording (it will flash red to show this), actual Recording will start when a cue point/censor is used on any of the decks (the Record button will then turn a solid red color). Record arming can also be triggered and finished by using the keyboard shortcut "\" (backslash).
NOTE: The active deck where a Flip is being recorded will also have a red border around it.
- Start - This will trigger the start of the selected FLIP and turn it ON, if it’s not on already. Similar to triggering a cue point. Start will also reset to the beginning of the FLIP automation.
- On - Turns the Flip ON/OFF. When a FLIP is turned ON the Flip automation is reset to the beginning.
- Loop - Loop will loop the Flip automation once it reaches the end. If this is on, your Flip will Loop. Turn this off to have the track continue playing after your Flip has finished.
- Save - Save will save the Flip in the temporary slot to the next available Flip slot in the corresponding deck. Check the Flip deck tab for your saved Flips. Flip information is saved to the metadata of the song file, so as long as you have that exact song file, your Flip will be saved.
- Loop Snap - When Recording, Loop Snap will use the track’s BPM to calculate the quantized end of the track. This will ensure the Flip will loop in time correctly when LOOP is on. If you accidentally end the Flip a little too early, or too late, the Loop Snap (when turned on) will adjust the length of the entire Flip to match your tracks BPM.
NOTE: Turn Serato DJ Pro’s Quantize feature on when using Loop Snap to ensure timing is snapped to the tracks Beatgrid.
The Flip Deck Tab
Each deck has a Flip Deck Tab beneath the Cues tab and above Loops tab (depending on your Serato DJ Pro view). This is where Saved Flips live and can be triggered or deleted. The Deck Tab controls behave the same as those found in the Flip Panel (above) except they correspond to whatever Flip is selected on that deck - indicated by a blue select box. Double-click the Flip time to re-name the Flip.
Only one Flip can be on per track at a time. The LOOP preference for each Flip can also be turned on or off here. Once a Flip has been deleted, it will not be recoverable and you will need to re-do another Flip.
Controllers with mapped Flip controls
Some controllers have dedicated Flip controls, like the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 (pictured below), while others have controls mapped to Flip using the left and right PARAMETER buttons like on the Pioneer DDJ-SR and Numark NV.
On controllers with the Performance Pads and PARAMETER adjust buttons you are able to Record, Trigger, Loop, and access Saved Flips using the controller.
Check out controllers that have mapped Flip controls here
NOTE: If your controller meets the criteria, Flip controls will be labelled in the controllers Quick-Start Guide.
- Is there a keyboard shortcut to record my Flip?
Yes, press the "\" (backslash) key to arm a Flip for recording and press "\" again to stop recording.
- What happens if I want to trigger a cue point in the middle of my Flip?
Triggering a cue point that exists inside the Flip will reset the Flip automation to the first instance of that cue point in the Flip.
- Can I remove cue points after I have made my Flip?
After a Flip has been made, cue points can be deleted from the track, and the Flip will still remember it’s automation.
- My track has the title "Flip 1", can I rename my Flip?
Flips can be named like Cue Points, by double-clicking on the name of the Flip in the Flip deck tab area. This name of the Flip displayed in the deck info area of the track.
- Why won't my Flip play in other programs like iTunes?
You will not be able to play the Flip in another program, only Serato DJ will read the Flip information
- Can I record my Flip, to use in another application?
You will need to use the REC function in Serato DJ. Open the REC panel, start the recording, play your track back with the Flip in the placement you are happy with, then save the recording. This will be saved to your Recordings for you to use in another application.