Using Link with a desktop application, such as Ableton Live, opens up a realm of possibilities for live performances and collaborations, and can actually be done on the same computer that is running Serato DJ or via two locally networked computers.
NOTE: Audio from Serato DJ may only be able to be output via the Serato primary hardware connected.
- Connect your Serato-compatible primary hardware.
- (If using Link with two separate computers) Ensure both computers are connected to the same local network, or set-up an AD-HOC network connection (links on how to set-up an AD-HOC connection can be found near the bottom of the page).
- Check either Simple or Smart Sync and 'Snap to Beatgrid' are enabled under SETUP --> DJ PREFERENCES in Serato DJ. Tracks used must also have their beat-grids set;
- Choose the 'Link' option in the top left-hand corner in Serato DJ;
- Launch Ableton Live (9.6 or higher), and choose 'Options --> Preferences';
- In the Preferences window, choose Link/MIDI, and ensure the 'Show Link Toggle' is enabled;
- Finally, toggle the newly enabled Link button in top left-hand corner of the Ableton UI - note the Link toggle will show a number to indicate the amount of other applications in Link session;
- (Windows only) - You may need to allow Ableton Live access to communicate on the home network (if using a firewall), and if prompted, will need to 'Allow access'. This prompt may be different if using third-party firewall software;
How to set-up an Ad-HOC network connection;