Whether you are on a MAC or PC this would be the most secure and professional way to organize your Music collection for use with Serato DJ:
1. Locate your generic Music folder on the internal HD.
- On Windows this is often located at Start/Music.
- Or User/Music.
- On Mac it is often located at Mac/Users/Music.
*(Feel free to use an external drive as well)*
2. Build a folder in this Music folder (or in the external HD) that you will use to keep all your music files. Name the folder what ever you like - I have named my folder "Music Files".
Ideally all your music files will be stored within this folder. If you want subfolders can be put in this folder and organised how ever you like, however it is important to note that Serato DJ will perform better if you keep the folder structure simple. Keep the file path as short as possible.
3. Now that my whole music collection has been organised, I am ready to open Serato DJ and import these folders in.
- In Serato DJ, click on the Files button to open the Files Window.
- Navigate to the Music Files (or whatever you have named it) folder that you have built. Inside this folder you will see all your music files and any subfolders that you may have built.
-Click on one of these files and hit Ctrl+A for Windows or Cmd+A for Mac. This will highlight all the files.
-You can then drag and drop these files into the All crate in the Crate section of Serato DJ (located to the left of the program), and all your music will be in there.
4. If you have subfolders you can drop these folders into the Crate section and Serato DJ will create crates out of them - they will have the same name and all the music within them will be imported.
Updating your Folders with new Music and then updating your Crates
1. When you get new Music, make sure to close Serato DJ, and then put your music into your Music Files folder. A lot of the time, depending on where you download your music from it will not be automatically downloaded into this folder, so ensure that you remember to move it into here.
2. Once this is done, open Serato DJ, open the Files Window, and locate the Music Files folder again. Drag all the files or the updated folders into the All Crate or into their matching Crates one by one to update your library with the new files you have imported. Don’t worry, the previously imported songs will NOT be duplicated.
3. Repeat this process as you get new Music.