Serato DJ contains some advanced features that allow you to perform feats not possible with normal DJ equipment. One of these features is using instant doubles, where you can continue mixing as if you had two turntables or CD players when really you are using just one.
If one of your turntables is not performing properly or if you only have one available, you can continue mixing the way you are used to.
How to mix with one deck
The following is a step-by-step guide on how to continue mixing using a standard 2-channel mixer. Let's assume you are in the middle of playing live and your left turntable stops working. While the club's engineer is working on fixing it you should:
1. Go into the Setup>DJ Preferences screen in Serato DJ Pro, and turn on On Track Load>Instant Doubles
2. Your current track is playing on the working right hand side turntable. The right hand deck stays in ABS or REL mode.
3. On the left hand side of your mixer you need to match the EQ and fader settings of the right-hand side, so the track will sound the same when you move it over to the internal deck.
4. In Serato DJ, change the left hand deck to INT mode and press play. Then click and drag the track currently playing on the right hand deck into the left hand deck and it will be automatically in sync. All you need to do now is flick the crossfader over to the left.
5. This means you can now load and cue up a new track onto the right hand side, and mix in the track using your turntable.
6. Once you've mixed out the track on the left hand deck, reset the EQs, faders, FX, and filters so they're the same as those on the right. Now you can drag the track from the right hand deck to the left and repeat the process to mix in a new track.
Note that when using certain hardware you can double tap the 'Load' button to double the playing track from the other deck.