In this mode you can play Cue Points over variable pitch ranges to help create new and interesting performances.
Pitch Play mode was a feature introduced in Serato DJ 1.8.2, and was first available exclusively for the Denon DJ MCX8000 (and then subsequently for the Denon MC7000, Roland DJ-808, Reloop MIXON4 and Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 - and their respective releases).
Now, with the release of Serato DJ 1.9.6, we've opened up the feature to a range of other Serato primary hardware.
What do I need to use Pitch Play?
Pitch Play mode is only available once the Pitch ‘n Time DJ Expansion Pack has been activated in the MY SERATO window. Please make sure Pitch 'n Time DJ has been purchased and activated on the current computer and “Enable Pitch ‘n Time DJ” is checked in the Expansion Pack tab of the SETUP screen.
Below a list of compatible hardware can be found, as well as their Pitch Play mode shortcut;
- Akai Pro AFX - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Denon MCX8000 - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Denon DJ MC7000 - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Denon DJ Prime 4 - [SHIFT + HOT CUE]
- Numark NS7II - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Numark NS7III - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Numark NV - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Numark NVII - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Pioneer DJ DJM-S9 - [LONG PRESS SAMPLER or PRESS 'SAMPLER' TWICE]
- Pioneer DJ DJM-S11 - [SHIFT + HOT CUE]
- Pioneer DJ DDJ SP-1 - [PRESS 'SAMPLER' TWICE]
- Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX2 - [LONG PRESS SAMPLER or PRESS 'SAMPLER' TWICE]
- Pioneer DJ DDJ-SZ - [LONG PRESS SAMPLER or PRESS 'SAMPLER' TWICE]
- Pioneer DJ DDJ-SZ2 - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
- Pioneer DJ XDJ-XZ - [SHIFT + BEATJUMP]
- Reloop MIXON4 - [SECOND PRESS SAMPLER]
- Roland DJ-808 - [SHIFT + SAMPLER]
Selecting a key range
There are 3 key ranges to choose from. The images below show pitched key ranges (in semitones) while using the 8 performance pads in Pitch Play mode. To toggle between key ranges press the left or right PARAM 1 buttons.
When in Pitch Play mode, the root key pad (0) is always lit white, which will play the cue point at it’s regular pitch. Pressing a pad will pitch the currently selected cue point up or down the following ranges:
Up Range (Up 7 Semitones)
Middle Range (Up 3/Down 4 Semitones)
Down Range (Down 7 Semitones)
Note: When Pitch Play mode is first enabled, the middle range is selected. The range will be remembered if you jump to another performance pad mode and then back to Pitch Play mode while the same track is loaded. If a new track is loaded, key mode will default to middle range.
Selecting a different Cue Point
You are only able to use Pitch Play with one Cue Point at a time. To change the selected Cue Point, hold the SHIFT button on your hardware and press a pad (cues are ordered the same as shown in the CUES performance pad mode). While holding SHIFT, the available cue points will be dimly or fully lit to give you an idea of which cue points have been set. Pads without cue points are not lit.
e.g. while holding SHIFT, press the corresponding performance pad for:
The selected cue point defaults to Cue Point 1 on track load, even if instant doubled. If a pad with no cue point is selected, then a new cue point will be created. Deleting a cue point however, is not possible in Pitch Play mode. Range is remembered if you change to another pad mode, then back to key mode. If a new track is loaded, key mode will default to middle range. Pitch adjustments while in Pitch Play mode will not be recorded while recording a Flip.