macOS 11 Big Sur has been out for a while now, and below we've gathered some useful articles to get you ready, and up and running when using Serato DJ Pro or Serato DJ Lite.
NOTE: Serato DJ Pro 2.5.0 and Serato DJ Lite 1.5.0 are the minimum versions supported with macOS 11 Big Sur, however, we recommend using the latest available version.
Before updating, it's important to check your hardware is compatible:
- macOS 11 Big Sur - now supported from Serato DJ Pro 2.5.0 & Serato DJ Lite 1.5.0 and primary hardware compatibility
We also recommend ensuring your computer is optimised for use with macOS 11 Big Sur, even if you've completed these steps in the past, as performing an OS update may cause some of them to revert:
Once you've confirmed compatibility and updated to macOS 11 Big Sur, read on:
Installation (Apple M1 users only)
This step is only required when installing Serato DJ Pro & Lite for the first time on your Apple M1 macOS Big Sur computer. This step is not required of users with macOS 11 Big Sur computers using Intel-based chips. It's also possible that you may not see this step if you've already installed Rosetta on your Apple M1 computer, and used it with other applications.
Rosetta is the emulation layer provided by Apple to allow applications like Serato DJ Pro & Lite to run on macOS Big Sur, when using an Apple M1 computer, and thus if it's not installed - you'll be prompted as per the notification below - simply click Install and let the process complete
This step is required for almost all users, except those with hardware that is class compliant (meaning no additional driver is required for the hardware to connect to your computer and Serato DJ Pro or Lite). Without completing these steps, your controller, mixer, or interface will not work with your macOS computer, and will not connect to Serato DJ Pro or Lite:
- macOS High Sierra 10.13, macOS Mojave 10.14, macOS Catalina 10.15, and macOS 11 Big Sur/M1 driver install process
DVS / Recording
This step is required for users with DVS-capable hardware, or who intend to use the record feature in Serato DJ Pro. Without implementing this permission, you may not be able to monitor the control tone input from your Serato DVS-capable device, may not receive signal when trying to record, or may see other audio issues with certain devices:
- macOS 10.14 Mojave, macOS 10.15 Catalina & macOS 11 Big Sur require microphone (internal input) access for Serato DJ Pro
This step is required to access external USB disks, secondary partitions, or any storage device outside of your boot partition (where your operating system is installed). Without implementing this permission, you may not be able to see or access files from these devices in Serato DJ Pro or Serato DJ Lite:
- macOS 10.15 Catalina, and macOS 11 Big Sur require removable volume permissions for Serato DJ Pro & Serato DJ Lite to access external drives
Apple Music (formerly known as iTunes)
Apple Music should just work with Serato DJ Pro & Serato DJ Lite, but making the recommended settings in the guides below will make the whole experience smoother and will give you greater insight into how Apple Music works with Serato:
- Using Apple's Music application (iTunes) on macOS 10.15 Catalina, and macOS 11 Big Sur with Serato DJ software
- Apple Music - Why do my tracks take so long to load into Serato DJ Pro & Lite?