iTunes writes to an XML file in your music folder, which contains references to all the files in your library. This XML file is utilized to access your iTunes library via Serato DJ. In cases where you have tracks with characters that iTunes does not deal with correctly, iTunes will stop writing new tracks to this XML file. This means that Serato DJ will not have access to new tracks you've added.
If new music you've added into iTunes is not showing up in Serato DJ, we need to make sure that your iTunes XML file is being updated correctly.
Your iTunes Music Library.xml file is kept in the iTunes folder of your Music folder. If the date that this file was last modified is older than when you last added music to iTunes, iTunes is not correctly updating your XML file.
In order to remedy this:
- Open iTunes, and sort your library by Date Added.
- Look at the files that were added around the last time the .xml file was modified.
- Change the names or tags of any files around this point that do contain these characters.
- iTunes should now be forced to write to your XML file again, and these tracks will now show in Serato DJ.
If this doesn't work, you iTunes Music Library.xml file may have become corrupted.
To rebuild the iTunes Music Library.xml file:
- Close all programs.
- Navigate to this location:
- Mac: Username / music / iTunes / iTunes Library.xml
- Windows: My Music / iTunes / iTunes Library.xml
- Rename the file "iTunes (Music) Library.xml" to "OLD_iTunes Library.xml".
- Open iTunes
- A new "iTunes Library.xml" file should appear straight away in the iTunes folder alongside the one you renamed.
If some reason it does not do this, simply try playing a few files in the iTunes player which may force it to write a new xml file.
- Close iTunes and re-open your Serato Software.
- Try disabling, then re-enabling the "Show iTunes Library" option in the setup screen.